Lyrix - where is it ???

Matthias Krok

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
Hi !

A few weeks ago, an interesting program was announced in
comp.os.linux.announce: Lyrix 1.05, something like a LaTeX-based
wordprocessor. Seems to be what I'm looking for for a long time.

But I don't find it !!!

The poster claimed he had uploaded it in sunsite's incoming, but there was
only the .lsm-file, no program ! and also the probable destination dirs
(apps/editors, or X11/xapps/editors) were empty.

has anyone found this program in the meantime ? The author didn't respond on
my mail...

P.S: Please cc: your response to my mailadress. I don't want to miss it,
because it would be expired... thanx.

--
in diesem Sinne... Matthias PGP-Key available !
___ Why drink and drive Diese Nachricht besteht zu 100% aus

Gregory H. Margo

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
In article <DFGv...@nostromo.fact.rhein-ruhr.de>,

Matthias Krok <kr...@nostromo.fact.rhein-ruhr.de> wrote:
>Hi !
>
>A few weeks ago, an interesting program was announced in
>comp.os.linux.announce: Lyrix 1.05, something like a LaTeX-based
>wordprocessor. Seems to be what I'm looking for for a long time.
>
>But I don't find it !!!
>
>The poster claimed he had uploaded it in sunsite's incoming, but there was
>only the .lsm-file, no program ! and also the probable destination dirs
>(apps/editors, or X11/xapps/editors) were empty.
>
>has anyone found this program in the meantime ? The author didn't respond on
>my mail...
>

>P.S: Please cc: your response to my mailadress. I don't want to miss it,
>because it would be expired... thanx.

Lyrix disappeared because of a naming conflict. It is now called 'lyx',
and the current development version is available in source form,
(which requires xforms now, no more motif), from the author's home page

http://www-pu.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/users/ettrich

The file is called 'develp2.tgz'

gm
Gregory H. Margo No free speech restrictions on the Internet!
gma...@newton.vip.best.com new...@best.com

Thorsten Roemer

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
Hi Matthias,

look at
ftp://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/Mirrors/sunsite.unc.edu/apps/editors/

The name changed from Lyrix1.05 to noname105p2-src-bin.tar.gz.

Thorsten Roemer
roe...@dbis1.informatik.uni-hamburg.de

David L. Johnson

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
to kr...@nostromo.fact.rhein-ruhr.de
Lyrix has been undergoing considerable changes lately. One is the name, since
it was pointed out that `lyrix' was an SCO trademark for their word-processor.

It is currently called ``NoName'', and there was a lot of net traffic abou the
name. I uploaded a ``noname'' binary, source, and lsm entry a few days ago,
but didn't make a fuss about it since the author (Matthais Ettrich) is making
another big change, from the Motif toolkit to Xforms.

NoName (as it was called, even with cute alterations to the opening graphic) is
in ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/editors/noname105p2-src-bin.tar.gz

It has static Motif lib's and seems quite stable. The Xforms version is still
in `development', but seems to be in about the same state now, and will
probably be released as beta very soon. Matthias (the author) switched to
Xforms to get a free widget library to use with this project. I suggested to
him that he try to provide a choice to use either toolkit, but that may be too
much of a hassle, since the toolkit shapes the method of implimenting features.

You can get source for NoName from sunsite, and more information from my
LyriX-information web page http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/LyriX.html. The author
maintains a German site, with sources only, at
http://www-pu.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/users/ettrich (this is sometimes hard
to reach, at least from the US).

By the way, for those who do not know,
the-word-processor-formerly-known-as-LyriX is a word-processing front-end to
LaTeX, and provides much of the functionality of LaTeX in a WYSIWYG format. It
also will run LaTeX for you, preview (with formulas and graphics), and print.
Spell-checking and other enhancements are still to come.

--

David L. Johnson dl...@lehigh.edu
Department of Mathematics http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html

James Mcpherson

Sep 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/26/95
Matthias Krok (kr...@nostromo.fact.rhein-ruhr.de) wrote:
: Hi !

: A few weeks ago, an interesting program was announced in
: comp.os.linux.announce: Lyrix 1.05, something like a LaTeX-based
: wordprocessor. Seems to be what I'm looking for for a long time.

: But I don't find it !!!

: The poster claimed he had uploaded it in sunsite's incoming, but there was
: only the .lsm-file, no program ! and also the probable destination dirs
: (apps/editors, or X11/xapps/editors) were empty.

: has anyone found this program in the meantime ? The author didn't respond on
: my mail...

have a look (with a web browser)
http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0

you can download the source and binaries from there.

jcm
.